Monday, March 14, 2016

Im Back!

Ok so I am no good at blogging. However, here I am ready to try again. My mother gave a fantastic talk in church yesterday about the importance of journaling and its many different forms. I took notes and would love to share what I learned.
My mom shared 15 things that we can and should journal about. If your ever stuck or dont think you have anything to write about here is your list.

1. Keep track of special occasions- It is a great way to keep track of special days and the experiences had on those days. I love to look back on my ancestors journals and read about how they celebrated life together.

2. Special thoughts in the moment - Have you ever had those moments where you have a brilliant idea or a profound thought but you dont write it down, then you come back the next day and cant for the life of you remember what that thought was. I carry a small journal with me most everywhere I go for just this purpose.

3. We can record special blessings and inspirations from God - as we do this our journal becomes a form of personal scripture and can bless and help our posterity.

4. Solve important problems and questions - A journal is a great place to sort out and find a solution to our thoughts and issues. Its often a better place to do it as well because your journal doesnt judge or belittle.

5. Brings peace to your soul - When we write and are able to express our thoughts and feelings we can find a peace within us that calms us.

6. Express things we may have trouble expressing - When we are able to write without being worried about what people are going to say we are better able to express. Our mind can think with more clarity when it is unburdened by worry and doubt in ourselves.

7. A place for our testimony - A journal is a wonderful place for us to bare our testimony and share with future generations what we know to be true. It is also a place for those people who may have trouble outwardly saying their testimony to be able to communicate what they know.

8. They help us learn who we are and we can watch ourselves grow and become who we want to be - as we look back on our own journals we can learn from our experiences and see our own growth. We can take measure of where we have come from, where we are at and where we would like to go.

9. A place to think about Anything and Everything - A journal is a wonderful place to explore and learn, to sort through our thoughts and to write out our ramblings within our own brain. You never know what you can learn from yourself.

10. It is a great place to feel - For someone like myself with emotions always about to spill over it is a fabulous place to share my feelings and share my tears. To share my anger and sadness. Share my excitement and my happiness. I have a chance to share all that I feel to my completely nonjudgmental listener. This is also a very important thing to do because these feelings often encourage and help those who will someday read and learn from our experiences.

11. A place to remember things - A place to write stories and experiences. Then when the moments come and we say I really wish we had a record of what happened that day, tada you do!

12. A place to dream and set goals - There is no better place to write your biggest dreams and goals. dont be scared to make them as lifelike and wondrous as your can imagine. Your pages will never tell you that you cant do something and when you write things down they are easier to remember and more likely to be accomplished.

13. Its your autobiography - Be honest and be yourself. Do not make it full of fluff and only the perfect parts. Write your life, exactly as it rolls out in front of you. Add your failures and your accomplishments, your trials and how you have overcome things. Your life is important!

14. Record your feelings and thoughts about service opportunities - Opportunities come in so many forms. It may be a calling you have been given, a service you have given or been given. Talk about how you have changed and the people you have met and been changed by.

And lastly but most importantly

15. Pour out your heart to your Father in Heaven - Your journal is the perfect place to pour out your heart and soul to your Heavenly Father. He listens! He wants us to talk to him and sometimes its hard to tell him all that we are feelings and going through. So write it down like your sending him a letter. Tell him everything that makes you so happy, and everything that breaks your heart. He will hear the pleading of your soul every time.


I know that keeping a record is so important. I am so grateful for the people who have kept records in the past. My life has been blessed beyond what I can imagine because of them. (scripture)  There are so many ways to do it. Dont make excuse yourself because you dont think your life story is worth telling because it is so worth it. Love you all and again I am going to try and be better at this.

Talia


No comments:

Post a Comment